Common Complaints during Pregnancy
Though the body adapts beautifully to carry a new life, there are some common complaints that may be faced during the pregnancy.
Symptoms: Bleeding from the gums, mostly after brushing the teeth
Solution: Floss and brush your teeth thoroughly after eating. See your dentist, but avoid x-rays
Symptoms: Feeling breathless is common complaint which mothers feel during pregnancy.
Solution: Rest as much as possible and if the problem is severe, consult your doctor
Symptoms: Passing dry, hard stools at infrequent intervals.
Solution: Drink a lot of water and avoid laxatives by eating high fiber food; exercise regularly; take iron supplements ( if prescribed) on a full stomach and consult your doctor if problem persists
Symptoms: Painful contractions of muscles, usually in the calves of feet.
Solution: Massage the affected area. Walk around for improved blood circulation. Speak to your doctor who might prescribe calcium or Vitamin D supplements.
Symptoms: Feeling dizzy or unstable
Solution: Try not to stand for long intervals. Get up slowly, when sitting or lying down. Turn to one side and then get up if lying on your back. Get up slowly from a hot bath. Put your head between your knees if you suddenly feel dizzy
Symptoms: You tend to urinate more often
Solution: If the urgency to use the washroom is more at night, try drinking fewer fluids in the evenings. If you experience pain while passing urine speak to your doctor as it might signal an infection
Symptoms: A strong burning pain around the chest
- Avoid spicy and fried food
- Take small frequent meals
- Try a warm drink at night
- Use extra pillows to rest your head
- Speak to your doctor who may prescribe an antacid.
Symptoms: Urine leaks when you cough, sneeze, or laugh
- Practice pelvic floor exercises to strengthen the pelvic muscles
- Pass water more often
- Avoid food that may cause constipation
- Avoid lifting heavy weights
Symptoms: A tendency to vomit or puke, especially in the morning, or a particular time of the day. Most women feel sick and baulk at the smell of certain foods and / or cigarette smoke.
- Avoid caffeine on waking up
- Eat something light to keep nausea at bay
- Avoid those food that have a strong smell if it aggravates the problem
- Take small frequent meals throughout the day
Symptoms: Pain or bleeding while passing stool.
- Apply an ice pack locally to ease itching
- Avoid constipation
- Try not to stand for long periods
- Speak to your doctor who may prescribe local ointments
Symptoms: A red rash may develop in the sweaty skin folds under the breast or in the groin area
- Use non perfumed soap to wash and dry these areas regularly
- Improve your hygiene quotient by bathing more often
- Soothe the skin with calamine lotion
- Wear loose clothes and use natural breathable fabrics
- Avoid working out in warm surroundings
Symptoms: The expectant mother may have trouble going to sleep or difficulty going back to sleep if woken up in the middle of the night. Some women have also reported frightening dreams
- Take a warm bath before bedtime
- Read a book or practice relaxation techniques
- Experiment with extra pillows
- Drink a warm beverage like turmeric milk or chamomile tea that promotes sleep
- Lavender essential oils that give out a soothing aroma may be useful.
Symptoms: Red marks appear on the thighs, stomach or breasts during pregnancy as the skin stretches beyond its normal capacity.
- Use a moisturizer to soothe the area although creams and ointments might not prevent or heal stretch marks
- An oil massage is helpful
Symptoms: Rapid hormonal changes result in perspiring after very little exertion or waking up feeling hot and sweaty. This is also caused by the increased blood flow to the skin during pregnancy.
- Drink a lot of liquids
- Wear loose clothes that are comfortable and made with breathable fabric
- Open windows for fresh air or stay in air-conditioning to feel comfortable
Symptoms: Extra water and retention of water cause swelling in the ankles, feet, hands or fingers.
- Put your feet up as often as possible and rest
- Avoid processed and canned food
- Avoid using too much table salt
- Try gentle foot exercises and flex your fingers
Symptoms: A thick white discharge accompanied by severe itching and/or soreness and pain while passing urine
- Stop using soap if you are feeling sore
- Avoid vaginal deodorants
- Use cotton underwear
- Avoid tight clothes
- A doctor may prescribe creams or ointments
Symptoms: Slight increase in clear discharge without any pain
- Avoid synthetic soaps
- Avoid vaginal deodorants
- Wear a light sanitary pad
- See your doctor if there is any itching or weird smell
Symptoms: The veins in the calves and thighs become painful and swollen.
- Put up your foot often
- Raising the foot of your bed may help
- Use extra pillows under your feet
- Support tights may help.
- Exercise your feet
Symptoms: The need to rest and sleep more often which is caused by the extra demands on the body due to pregnancy.
- Rest as much as possible
- Practice relaxation techniques and don’t over exert
- Go to bed early
- Practice meditation
All the above mentioned pregnancy problems are quite common, these remedies will help you soothe these problems; however, consult your doctor if these problems are persistent over a longer period of time during pregnancy.
To read more on Pregnancy, click on the link below,