Covid-19: Zinc & Vitamins for building immunity
Immunity building and supplementing the body with the right nutrients help with faster Covid-19 recovery.
Dr. Vandana Verma (Physiotherapist & Nutritionist, Founder Fitness4all) highlights the importance of a strong immunity to fight the Covid-19 infection and to come out of it without any complications. She recommends the following nutrients to be a part of the everyday diet:-
- Vitamin C: It helps in fighting infections, is anti-inflammatory, and helps in building antibodies. To enhance your diet with Vitamin C include foods such as oranges, tomatoes, bell peppers, melons, strawberries, kiwis, lemons, etc. Dr. Verma recommends 1000 mg of Vitamin C twice a day to prevent Vitamin C deficiency in the body.
- Zinc: It works as an antioxidant and helps build immunity. Dr. Verma recommends 50 mg of zinc tablets a day.
- Curcumin: Curcumin is found in turmeric and one can also supplement it through tablets. Dr. Verma recommends starting with raw turmeric and adding black pepper to it as it eases the absorption of curcumin in the body.
- Vitamin D: Our Vitamin D deficiency is heightened due to the current lockdown. Consider taking 60,000 IU of Vitamin D at least once a week. For Covid-19 patients, 60,000 IU of Vitamin D can be consumed twice a week for four to six weeks.
- Probiotics: They help build immunity and improve your gut health. Probiotic foods include curd, kefir, fermented pickles, etc. Dr. Verma recommends making a pickle out of ginger, lemon, rock salt, turmeric, and black pepper and adding it to your everyday meals.
- Hydration: Hydration is important to combat weakness and fluid imbalance due to fever. Dr. Verma recommends drinking plenty of water and increasing fluid intake by having coconut water, lemonades, etc.