Check List for New Dads
Involvement with your child is critical. These are some ways to form a bond and develop a close relationship with your child from an early start. Start off on the right path, make the commitment to spend time with your baby, and relax, you’re going to be a great dad.
Before baby arrives:
- To attend antenatal classes with your partner and do some research of your own.
- The baby arrives will allow them to get to know your voice which will help to comfort them once they arrived.
- Thank everyone and anyone who helps you, whether they’ve offered or you have to ask them to
- Get to know the bump! Reading, singing and talking to your partners bump even before baby arrives will allow them to get to know your voice which will then help to comfort them once they arrive.
Once baby arrives:
- Wash your hands before touching baby or use hand rub.
- Try to support your partner as much as possible by making a few meals.
- Support your partner while breast feeding.
- Make sure you get lot of skin to skin contact with Baby.
- Should know the importance of breast feeding.
- Support your partner to come out of night mares and night terrors.
- Know baby hunger clues: chewing on fingers, smacking lips, rooting for breast, crying
- Talk, sing, and play with baby
- Keep cord and/or circumcision clean and dry
- Call lactation consultant with breastfeeding problems
- Take an infant CPR/First Aid class
- Have a frustration action plan
- Go to well-baby check-up appointments
- You and your partner will be sleep deprived. Sleep in shifts
To read more on Baby care, click on the link below,