Some of the common hair problems include:
- Split Ends
- Hair loss
- Lack of volume
- Oily hair
- Scalp which is scalpy
- Frizzy, dull, dry and brittle hair
- Sun damage to hair
- Chlorine damage to hair
- Hair loss
What are the factors that affect health of our hair?
- Diet- The best way to nourish the hair root is by having a healthy diet, rich in nutrients like iron and proteins, as these are vital for nourishing the hair root. Pulses, meat, eggs, nuts and green leafy vegetables are all good sources of these nutrients.
- Keeping the hair covered while outdoors and the use of a good conditioner can help in keeping the hair shaft shiny and smooth.
- Oiling the hair at regular intervals can help in improving the blood circulation of the scalp and aid in better hair growth.
- Deep conditioning treatments and hair masks can help in imparting moisture to the hair shaft.
- People with oily scalps can benefit from the use of a dry shampoo to keep their scalp fresh for longer as frequent shampooing can damage the hair cuticle.
- Trimming every 6 to 8 weeks helps in removing the brittle split ends and also keeps your hair style looking fresh and updated.
What precautions can help in keeping hair healthy?
- Air conditioning and sun exposure makes the cuticle dry and brittle and this makes the hair look dull and also causes splitting and breaking of hair.
- The scalp is prone to certain conditions like dandruff, boils and lice infestation. It is important to check your scalp regularly and get these conditions treated as they can otherwise lead to hair loss due to breaking.
- It’s also best not to share towels and combs with anyone, as sometimes that can cause diseases like fungal infections scabies to spread.
- Washing the hair regularly is of vital importance for good hair health. These days, using a sulfate and paraben free shampoo is recommended, as these chemicals damage the hair.
- It is also important to check the ph of your shampoo as an acidic ph of between 5-6.5 is ideal for the hair. Washing the hair very often can strip the scalp and the hair shaft of their natural oils, so wash your hair only when it’s really needed.
- After shampooing, it’s always a good idea to use a conditioner on the ends of the hair as these are prone to split ends.
- Always wash off the conditioner with cold water, this keeps the cuticle shiny.
- Avoid combing your hair when it’s wet as this is when it’s most prone to breaking.
Beautiful hair is an asset and with the right care it can always be your crowning glory.