11 Tips to follow for Good Heart Health by Dr. CN Manjunath.
World Heart Day falls on the 29th of September every year. To dwell on depth of the topic, Famhealth is in conversation with Dr. C N Manjunath, Professor, and Director of Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardio-Vascular Science’s and Research, Bengaluru, lists out 15 most essential tips and tricks that should be followed in order to avoid Heart Diseases.
Role of Cholesterol in CVD
- There are 2 types of cholesterol which are good cholesterol (HDL), bad cholesterol (LDL) Good cholesterol has significant importance to maintain our heart health. Wherein a person should have high HDL, but it is also important to have less LDL.
- A prominent and emerging risk in India is the combination of high triglycerides and low HDL which results in heart issues.
- There is a definite correlation between cholesterol and coronary artery disease which results in the blockage of arteries in the heart. Dr. Manjunath believes that cholesterol-related misconceptions are often spread through social media and we should ignore these.
- According to Dr. Manjunath with every 1% increase in cholesterol results in a 2% increase in the rate of Cardiovascular Diseases. E.g. There is an entity which is called familial hypercholesterolemia where cholesterol is abnormal right from birth in such cases many patients die at an early age of 15, 20, 25 years. So, in such cases, people should avoid misconceptions related to cholesterol and should get it to check at the earliest.
- Another misconception is lean people’s body weight and cholesterol who believe that they cannot have cholesterol-related disorders. Dr. Manjunath says lean personality people or underweight people can also have high cholesterol levels. Role of lifestyle factors to maintain good heart health
- Dr. Manjunath says one should eat everything in small and optimal quantity be it ghee or any other fats. Food should be low calorie, low fat, and more of fibers, fruits, and vegetables which are popularly known as the Mediterranean Diet.
- Pay attention to low carbohydrates and low sugar diet and fast foods should be completely avoided. Dr. Manjunath defines fast foods as “those foods that have the ability to take away life very fast”.
- Dr. Manjunath advises to include 45 minutes of exercise in daily routine to maintain good heart health because exercise reduces the risk of all lifestyle caused diseases like hypertension, heart attack, blood sugar control. He emphasizes taking the stairs as a very good exercise because while climbing stairs if a person gets a burning sensation or pain in the heart or feels extremely tired then it points out to inner heart problems and problems can be treated at the earliest.
- Dr. Manjunath says youngsters and teenagers should not lift too much weight abruptly which can be dangerous for their heart. Also, they should gradually increase the time and intensity of their work and should initially practice moderate-intensity workout.
- 5 Most important things to be kept low as told by Dr. Manjunath
11. Role of Genetic Makeup in heart Diseases Dr. Manjunath says, “If a person has a family history of heart diseases then it doubles the risk of heart issues such a person should take care of their heart health since childhood. They should maintain a very active lifestyle and mothers in these families should avoid giving too much fatty and oily food to kids and should take care of their health from the earliest”.