Safe Drinking Water
How much water does a person need?
The United Nations estimates that every person needs 20 to 50 liters of clean water every day for drinking, food preparation and personal hygiene.
Some of the common causes which can cause water contamination are as follows:
- Sewage and Waste Water: Sewage, garbage and liquid waste of households, agricultural lands and factories are dumped into water bodies. These wastes contain harmful chemicals and toxins , which is a major cause of water pollution.
- Dumping: Dumping of solid wastes and litters in water bodies is other major cause. Litters contain glass, plastic, aluminum, styrofoam etc.
- Industrial Waste: Industrial waste contains pollutants like asbestos, lead, mercury and petrochemicals which contaminate the water.
- Acid Rain: Rain water gets polluted when acids gets mixed from the air
How is water made safe for drinking?
- Water contains many impurities. These might include particulate matter, germs like bacteria, and poisonous chemicals like lead. To make water safe for consumption, it undergoes various types of treatments, like sedimentation, filtration and sedimentation.
- To make drinking water safe, it has to clear physical, chemical and microbiological tests. Physical tests include testing for some poisonous chemicals and also the clarity of the water. Microbiology testing checks for the presence of bacteria like coliform bacteria.
- Though the water in kitchen taps is considered safe for drinking, some people use home water purifiers for added protection.
- These might be with carbon filters to remove odor causing chemicals and also some toxic chemicals.
- Other types are the ion exchange units which are effective for hard water and remove minerals like calcium and magnesium.
- Reverse osmosis units remove harmful nitrates and also pesticides.
- Distillation units boil the water and the steam is condensed to give clean water.
- Before deciding on the purification system for your home, it’s a good idea to get your water quality tested to know which system would be best suited to your needs.
Why is safe drinking water necessary for good health?
Contaminated water is a major cause of infections and even deaths. It can cause many diseases like
- Worm infestation
Water safety during travel
To stay safe during travel, it’s important to follow some safe water practices
- It is best to use bottled water while travelling.
- In addition to drinking, it’s a good idea to use the same water for brushing teeth, especially for children.
- Make sure the glasses used for drinking are properly washed, or use disposable glasses.
- Stay adequately hydrated, especially in hot weather conditions.
- Avoid washed fruits.
- Avoid ice cubes as these might have contaminated water.
- Store water in food grade bottles only. Ensure these are washed at regular intervals.
Safe drinking water plays a very important role in maintaining good health.