The Fourth Month of Pregnancy
- Moles and freckles may become darker with the increase in skin pigmentation. There is pigmentation around the nipples
- A dark line may appear down the centre of the stomach
- An increased appetite results in clothes getting tight
- The waistline starts to expand
- The baby bump begins to show as a gentle rounding of the stomach
- The breasts may still be of normal size but they will grow in the coming weeks.
Features of the Baby
- Length: 6 inches
- Weight : 135 gms
- This is a period of rapid growth for the baby.
- Fine hair appears on the body and face
- The skin is transparent showing the blood vessels underneath
- Joints have formed and hard bones are developing
- Sex organs are mature enough to disclose the sex
- Baby sucks the thumb
- Baby’s heart beats twice as fast as the mother
- Baby moves around vigorously though the mother still cannot feel it
- The baby has a neck of its own
- The baby’s fingers have their own finger print pattern
- The head is still large for the body.
- Both the partners must give up smoking if not done already.
- As the appetite is growing the mother needs to be more careful of what she is eating and avoid unhealthy food. It pays to be sensible and watch the weight.
- It is a good idea to check with the doctor who may recommend iron supplements around this time. Iron supplements should be taken on a full stomach and preferably with a good source of vitamin c to increase their bioavailability.
- Normally after the first trimester the folic acid supplements are stopped.
- It is time to make a second visit to the antenatal clinic where there would be an ultrasound scan; a serum screening test and amniocentesis if there are any chances of the baby having any abnormality.
Question of the day
How can you be sure that the baby is normal?
The chance of the baby being abnormal is very slim as most abnormalities occur in the initial weeks and end in a miscarriage. By now the baby is fully formed and if the parents ensure a good lifestyle, which provides a safe environment for the baby, the risks can be reduced further.
To read more on Pregnancy, click on the link below,